Pommard 1er Cru "Clos de Verger" 2005, Vincent-Escalier

My glass is always half-full... and I have two glasses, but sometimes I need to show my fangs. I put the boot into the Vincent-Escalier Savigny blanc and I'm afraid to say also their Meursault 1er Cru "Les Cras" 2004 due to an excess of oak and modernity. I bought this Pommard 1er Cru 2005 in the same lot before I realized my taste didn't mesh with Vincent-Escalier's style.

The oeuvre in red is slightly better than the pedestrian whites. Immediately open, as one expects from a ripe 2005, with bursts of black cherry, strawberry and victoria plum. Powerful vanilla aromas from a mild overdose of oak. Very enjoyable, easily drinkable and nothing impressive. Given the potential of the vineyard, a Pommard 1er Cru, this wine underperforms. There is no personality: commercial not artisanal.

Comments

Popular Posts