Savigny-les-Beaune 1er Cru "Les Serpentières" 2000, François Gay

Last night I was lucky enough to attend a tasting of Antinori wines hosted by Alessia Antinori and Pluris Millesimes. I confess that the Tignanello Toscana 1999 was really elegant with great concentration and would be perfect with a bistecca alla fiorentina .... but as I commented to a friend, "It's just not Burgundy!" I was relieved to get home and pop the cork from this bottle of Savigny 1er Cru. A really characteristic beefy-tannic Serpentières with potent aromas of oven-baked plums, toasted pastry crust and cooked cherries. Plenty of fruit on the palate but compared to the previous tasting note for this wine in June 2007 I can tell that the fruit is falling away and a hint of dryness creeping in. Ideal companion for a juicy lamb casserole, lamb tagine or confit de canard. The photo shows the pleasingly named Savignyplatz S-Bahn station in Berlin.

Comments

Popular Posts