Sunday, January 15, 2017

Auxey-Duresses "Les Crais" 2009, Alain Gras

I have been a fan of this Saint-Romain domaine for many years due to the quality of the fruit and the purity of the wine. But I hadn't kept a bottle for as long as this so it was with some trepidation that I opened it to accompany my poulet chasseur. A rich yellow gold colour and thick legs announce an opulent nose of apricot frangipane, lemon drizzle cake, almonds, manuka honey, melted butter and cinnamon. A beautiful bouquet. Wonderfully rich apricot, satsuma and pineapple fruit on the palate given structure by medium acidity, oak tannins and a chalky minerality reflective of the wine's name. True there is not amazing finesse on the palate but I can't imagine an Auxey villages ever being better than this. A stunning and superb wine! Scores 30/30 for an Auxey-Duresses blanc. Merci M. Gras!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Welcome!