Auxey-Duresses "Les Crais" 2009, Alain Gras


I have been a fan of the Alain Gras domaine in Saint-Romain for many years (photo is taken from the top of the hill next to the domaine) due to the quality of the fruit and the purity of the wine. But I hadn't kept a bottle of Saint-Romain or Auxey-Duresses for as long as this so it was with some trepidation that I opened it to accompany my poulet chasseur. A rich yellow gold colour and thick legs announce an opulent nose of apricot frangipane, lemon drizzle cake, almonds, manuka honey, melted butter and cinnamon. A beautiful bouquet. Wonderfully rich apricot, satsuma and pineapple fruit on the palate given structure by medium acidity, oak tannins and a chalky minerality reflective of the wine's name. True there is not amazing finesse on the palate but I can't imagine an Auxey villages ever being better than this. A stunning and superb wine which scores 79/100. Merci M. Gras!

Comments

Popular Posts